My Motivation: It’s Gone Missing

unmotivated
OK, when a motivational funk hits, how do you pull yourself out of it?

Words and motivation have escaped me the last 48 hours, just can’t seem to find it anywhere? On a lighter note the Hemingway app rated me higher then Hemingway… I’ve made it Hooray!! Yeah right :op

So, back to the above how do you pull yourself out of the depths of the dreaded unmotivated funk?

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by winterbayne on April 10, 2014 - 1:35 pm

well twitter doesn’t help 😉

• #2 by David J Delaney on April 10, 2014 - 1:40 pm

No it doesn’t… hours of my like are floating by on twitter feeds

• #3 by winterbayne on April 10, 2014 - 1:41 pm

I saw. My motivation just twittered out the window.

2. #4 by symplysilent on April 10, 2014 - 1:43 pm

What are you supposed to be motivated to do?

• #5 by David J Delaney on April 10, 2014 - 1:51 pm

Writing, I’m writing a novel at the moment with a smattering if short stories here and there

• #6 by symplysilent on April 10, 2014 - 2:20 pm

If you’re writing a novel, could you research some part of it, or work on a characterization? Maybe you could edit a bit?

• #7 by David J Delaney on April 10, 2014 - 11:28 pm

Yeah I think I’ll change it up a bit. Thanks for commenting

3. #8 by Julia Swancy on April 11, 2014 - 1:29 pm

Hilarious– I’m reading this post of yours *after* I replied to you about motivation over on my post comments! Motivation shmotivation… I haven’t posted yet today, maybe I’ll write about that 😛 Facebook is my worst distraction. Oh yeah, and kids. My darned kids keep needing to be fed and stuff. LOL

4. #9 by Paula Readman on April 11, 2014 - 9:47 pm

I always read through the previous chapters to the one I’m working on from the beginning into a digital recorder. Then play it back listening to where it flows and where the words jar. Then these are the sentences I work on. I find this helps me to get my mojo back, and I can move the story on.

5. #11 by Rob McNelis on April 12, 2014 - 12:23 am

Hey David. Found you from a comment you made on quick sprout. Love your writing style. 🙂
    Rob

6. #13 by JC Gatlin on April 13, 2014 - 11:32 am

Hey David!

When I’m unmotivated to write, I take my laptop and get away from desk (and distracting TV). Sometimes I sit at the park, sometimes I hangout in the food court at the mall, sometimes I set-up shop at a table in a restaurant. Regardless, it tends to get me out of my funk and my keyboard heats up. 🙂

Good luck!

JC Gatlin, Fellow Author

• #14 by David J Delaney on April 15, 2014 - 11:45 am

I took your advice and am not sitting in a pretty retro cafe, drinking latte and typing this.. Thanks for commenting

7. #15 by suecoletta on April 17, 2014 - 8:00 pm

I just answered this question on crimewriterblog.com. BTW, thanks for following. Check it out under “The Importance of MRUs”. I love your blog. I’m now a faithful follower.

• #16 by David J Delaney on April 18, 2014 - 6:02 pm

Thank you so much. I’ve certainly fallen in love with blogging… one month anniversary is coming up in 4 days (o:

8. #17 by K.A. Renninger on April 26, 2014 - 8:49 am

Sometimes I get out of a funk by engaging in some other type of creative outlet. Say I’m in a funk with art and writing, maybe I’ll try some kind of craft, or do something musical. If I can get inspired in one creative area, sometimes it spills over into the others. Following a creative pursuit with a friend also sometimes helps .

• #18 by David J Delaney on April 26, 2014 - 5:40 pm

I wish I had a knack for something else but I don’t. Thanks for commenting

9. #19 by clothedwithjoy on May 7, 2014 - 11:06 pm

Have you read Stephen King’s book On Writing?. It’s really good. Sometimes you just need to write even when you’re not motivated or inspired. Just do it. It Helps.

• #20 by David J Delaney on May 7, 2014 - 11:10 pm

Yeah, that book spurred me on to pursue writing. Such a great book and the story of how Carrie was bought is so inspirational