Editor…. I’ve Finally Hired One… Finally

editing, editor

When I decided to first put words into my MS word document I was overcome with excitement. I had grand dreams of one day making story telling my full time career. I have to be honest when I say I was completely naive and didn’t fully appreciate how difficult the industry is for indies and traditionally published authors but I went along for the ride anyway. This led to a 20 months journey where I’ve had short stories published, finished two full manuscripts and started a third. The excitement waned but the love for creating didn’t.

Now I have to admit the initial excitement I felt all that time ago in March 2013 has come back a little because I’ve finally hired my first editor. The conversations we’ve had have been great. It all sounds to be exactly what I wanted and it’s the first professional I’ve have look over my work with a critical eye. I’ll be keen to know where I’ve faltered and where I can improve. In my eyes it’s taking the next step in my writing career.

This is my first experience with editors but let me know what you’re experience has been?

, , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by R J Madigan on January 10, 2015 - 9:37 pm

Congratulations. So excited for you. I’ve been a bit disillusioned the last few days about how hard this whole self publishing thing is. However at the same time I still want to write every day. I guess that’s what’s important.

• #2 by David J Delaney on January 12, 2015 - 12:50 pm

Don’t be disillusioned because I think everyone has times like that regardless of where they are on their journey. I find other writers blogs and podcasts really helpful. Look up J.Thorn, a great horror writer. He’d really candid about his experience and he’s had a whole lot of ups and downs but nowadays he’s one of the big players in the indie scene

• #3 by R J Madigan on January 20, 2015 - 3:49 am

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I will look up J.Thorn. Rae

2. #4 by Dean M. Watts on January 10, 2015 - 11:11 pm

I haven’t been able to find an editor yet; let me know how this one turns out for you!

• #5 by David J Delaney on January 12, 2015 - 12:48 pm

I found mine on oDesk.com which was recommended to me by a couple of other writers. I had 20 people get back to me and found someone among them. I definitely be positing my experience on here.

3. #6 by suecoletta on January 10, 2015 - 11:56 pm

Good for you, David! I’m lucky to have an editor friend who does mine for free. As always, I wish you the best of luck!

• #7 by David J Delaney on January 12, 2015 - 12:47 pm

That’s cool. I need to surround myself with more editors, proofreaders and cover designers… think I’ll add that into my new years resolutions (o:

4. #8 by Kat on January 11, 2015 - 7:44 am

I wish you the best of luck! You are farther into this journey than I am and I look forward to hearing how this goes. 🙂

• #9 by David J Delaney on January 12, 2015 - 12:46 pm

It’s taken me a while to get there and a lot of pushing from people around me. I could procrastinate with the weakest of excuses. You’ll get there though (o:

• #10 by Kat on January 13, 2015 - 8:16 am

Someday I will. 🙂 Writing the blog is my first step.

1. Posts I loved this week | Taylor Grace